Pages

Monday, June 15, 2015

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? - June 15



Even though I haven't participated in quite awhile, #IMWAYR is one of my favorite days to check blog posts. It is so fun to see what everyone is reading! Thanks to Jen Vincent for hosting the kidlit version of this at her blog, Teach Mentor Texts!!

I've been reading mostly adult books lately, but many children's books have also made it into my library bag and are most definitely worth a mention today!

Here are the GoodReads pictures of the children's books read since summer break began:






Some notes about these books -

Dear Hank Williams by Kimberly Willis Holt - I have always loved Holt's writing style and her development of characters. She didn't disappoint in this book. The story is entirely told from letters to Hank Williams, a country singer, from the main character, Tate P. Ellerbee. Tate has chosen Hank Williams as her pen pal for a year-long school assignment. Through her letters we learn about her, her family, her truths, and her deceptions. Holt has built in a few plot twists that I didn't see coming. So clever how she tells so much through this one-way correspondence.

The Great Good Summer by Liz Garton Scanlon - My first 2 reads of the summer are both set in the South. The Main character in this story, Ivy Green, is quite unhappy that her mom just up and left town, her dad, and her to follow Hallelujah Dave, a preacher to Florida.  I really enjoyed the relationship between Ivy and Paul Dobbs, the person traveling with her to retrieve her mom.

Billy's Booger by William Joyce - This will be a great book to share with intermediate teachers and students, and would be a nice mentor text for narrative writing. The fact that there is an actual book inside a book (even if it is about boogers) is a bonus!

The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley - A fantastic story that gives a new meaning to the phrase "save my life." My favorite page of all is the last one for that very reason.

The Marvels by Brian Selznick - This man is brilliance. The ability to tell one entire story in pictures, then intertwine it with a story written in words and set in a different time period is amazing. This is a must have for so very many reasons.

A Handful of Stars by Cynthia Lord - I am a huge fan of this author and she doesn't disappoint with this story in the least. The plot around two girls from different heritages and lifestyles is solid. And this story demonstrates how we are so much better when we embrace the differences between us.

Milo Speck, Accidental Agent by Linda Urban - I can only hope this is the beginning of a series by the very talented Urban. The ending definitely leaves the door open for that possibility. A great fantasy with some wonderful bad guys in the mix lead to a fun, energetic story that children are bound to enjoy!

How to Read a Story by Kate Messner - A perfect book to share in the beginning of the year when setting up the structure of reading workshop in the classroom. It is probably meant for a younger audience but I can see great possibilities for intermediate students when it comes to modeling how independent reading should look for them.

A great beginning to my reading summer. Hope you are enjoying some great books as well!

5 comments:

  1. I loved Dear Hank Williams. I haven't read any of the rest of your choices though. I tend to read adult and young adult. You can come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We share many titles - I've read a lot of the same ones this summer. Jealous you got your hands on The Marvels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a busy reading beginning to your summer, wow! I am eagerly anticipating How to Read a Story (next on the waitlist) as well as The Marvels, jealous that you got an ARC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these are on my to read list! I'm hoping to get hold of How to Read a book and decide how many copies to get for teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envy that you have already read The Marvels - I agree with you. Brian Selznick is a genius. :)

    ReplyDelete