Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Celebrating Six New Colleagues



Thanks to Ruth for creating a community where celebration at the end of each week occurs!

Our school district hired many, many new teachers this year. However, this week, I am celebrating the good fortune my school district had in their hires of six specific new-to-our-district teachers. They all came with years of experience; some a few, some more. But the thing they all have in common - a passion for learning.

I am the literacy coach in four different elementary buildings; three of those buildings hired these six new teachers. I reached out to them this summer, as soon as my building administrators informed me of their hires. I welcomed them to their respective buildings, and I shared some district literacy learning opportunities available to them during the summer. I also offered to meet with them at different times to talk about what reading workshop, writing workshop, and word study might look like in their classrooms.

Here is why I am celebrating after our first week of school:

  • Every single new-to-our-district teacher availed themselves of one, or more, of the summer learning opportunities available to them.
  • Many of them attended the weekly summer literacy chats the coaches hosted.
  • Many of them attended our district's two day summer Leadership Academy where they attended sessions to help them with student learning in their classrooms.
  • All but one (and she had prior summer commitments) sat in my house for hours over several days as we talked about the components of workshop.
  • I was invited into many of their classrooms this summer as these teachers were setting them up to help organize or think about spaces for student learning.
  • With one group of three, we were able to sit down together and talk about the components and expectations for word study in our district.
  • They all expressed their gratitude for all the amazing professional development opportunities in which they had taken part.
  • They are all learners and continue to engage in conversations with me and their other colleagues on how best to help children learn.
  • They all have expressed how lucky they feel to be part of a district that supports their professional growth.
And me... Well, I feel quite fortunate to coach and collaborate with these new-to-district teachers who value learning and PD. How lucky am I??!! I look forward to this year of collaboration with all of them!

5 comments:

  1. You are definitely lucky. It sounds like the new hires are very dedicated and value collaboration and ongoing learning. What a great support team they will have in each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky, indeed, Karen to have such open-to-new-learning teachers to work with. They are lucky, too, you know, to have you as a co-learner. Best wishes for a fabulous new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for new colleagues who bring us a new energy and enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky indeed - they sound like an amazing bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be so gratifying to put so much effort into your coaching and to see your team avail themselves of the lessons and move forward to success in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete