Pages

Monday, December 19, 2016

Nonfiction Picture Books - #IMWAYR - 12/19/16


A huge thanks to Jen Vincent at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye at Unleashing Readers for hosting the kid lit version of "It's Monday, What Are You Reading?"!!

One of my favorite posts all year is the one I do for the Nerdy Book Club to announce the Nerdy Awards for the Nonfiction Picture Book categories. I volunteered to do it again this year, but at NCTE in November, I realized I was woefully behind in my reading in this genre/format. So, I started checking in with friends, reading blog posts about nonfiction picture books that people loved this year, and then began to reserve a HUGE pile of books at my local public library.

While it would take forever to share everything I've read in the past 2 weeks in detail, I thought I would give you a glimpse of some of my favorites. And I also want to remind you that tomorrow, Tuesday, December 20, is the last day to nominate your favorite books of the year for a Nerdy award in several categories - check out the Nerdy nomination link here.

A quick disclaimer - I am not privy to the voting tally until the nominations are closed; this post just reflects what I am really loving right now. And a second disclaimer - I am not done reading my piles yet, so there may be other favorites I haven't found yet! :)

My absolute favorite of what I have read so far is Ada's Violin: The Story of the Recycled Orchestra of Paraguay. Making a better life for yourself, perseverance, and the ability of music to transcend even the most difficult of situations - these are just a few of the reasons I love this book:







For lovers of the musical, Hamilton, here's a great book for you:









Inventors and perseverance and high interest inventions for students:








Strong females who made a difference in so many ways:









Gorgeous nature books (and in addition, I ordered my own copy of Animals by the Numbers: A Book of Animal Infographics!!):









Building for a Sustainable Future (and I loved Drummond's previous book, Energy Island):



So what are the nonfiction picture books you are loving from 2016? Please share those titles here, and then head on over to Nerdy to nominate your favorites by tomorrow night!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hooray thanks for the share several new titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have never heard of Ada's violin - Thank you for telling us about that title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your post, I am also thinking that I have not read all that much nonfiction this year. Maybe I'll make it a goal for next year to include more nonfiction in my weekly stack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a list of books! Just put a hold on Ada's Violin hope to get to Green City in the new year.

    ReplyDelete