Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Grocery Store Sundays - #SOL18 - 3/11/18

 **I'm so grateful to the #SOL community for welcoming me each and every time I post a slice. Thank you so very much to the team at Two Writing Teachers for coordinating and hosting this slicing community for the entire month of March for the Slice of Life Challenge. You all rock!!**

*During this year's challenge, my plan is to reflect on a slice of my life from that day, or the day before, and write about it. No theme to tie my writing together this year, no plans ahead of time.  Just glimpses into slices of my days. Not having a plan is a very uncomfortable place for me, both as a person and a writer, so fingers crossed for the 20 remaining days!*


Wow, I've seen you here 4 weeks in a row. Why are you still doing your grocery shopping on the weekend?

My friend stopped me at the grocery store today to ask this question, and it caught me off-guard, and gave pause for reflection.

For the past 20-something years, I have usually been at the grocery store, doing our weekly shopping, every Sunday.

So, why now, when I'm retired and can be more flexible, am I still shopping on Sunday?

The only answer I can think of - habit.

Habit dictates that I plan out a week of menus starting on Sunday, and going through the following Saturday (ok, who am I kidding - there is never cooking done at our house on a Saturday!)

Once I plan the menus, then I organize my grocery list around those meals. But if the menus begin on Sunday, then I need to be at the store that day to have the freshest possible ingredients for the week. I also tend to be a better cook on Sunday when there's more time, and I've always liked the idea of having planned meals for Monday and Tuesday, then heading to leftovers for Wed - Fri.

I wish I could be more a free-wheeling person when it comes to dinners. But Sunday seems to be the beginning of the cooking week for me, and so I guess Sunday will continue to be grocery shopping day as well.

Habits can be hard to break.


3 comments:

  1. I wrote about grocery shopping today too. I ran into an old neighbor and it was just what I needed. We have the same habit too...meal planning and shopping and cooking. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I would expect you to also shop another day ... with less traffic! But your explanation is enough for me to understand your shopping on Sunday. Plus, the added benefit of running into old friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sell everyday grocery items used in kitchen like Dry Masalas, Dry Fruits & Nuts,rice, Lentils Beans & Peas etc. Online GroceryMarket shopping is expanding in uk I find my required grocery products at affordable rates which are less than the market price.

    ReplyDelete